Recently, several new online store customers have been asking the editor, since you are a manufacturer, why is it sometimes more expensive to come to your factory to customize clothes than to buy goods from the wholesale market. I have always wanted to disclose to everyone the triangular relationship between cost, quality and price. Today I will explain the reasons for these.
We welcome price comparisons across the market, but this is limited to products of the same style, materials, and workmanship.
Excluding design and marketing, the cost of a piece of clothing can be divided into three parts: fabric, accessories and workmanship. For a piece of clothing of the same style, excluding the costs of design, marketing, logistics and other things, the cost is basically determined by the above three factors.
Let’s talk about fabric first, which accounts for the largest proportion of the cost. Nowadays, many transactions are done online, and the prices are relatively transparent. Sometimes what everyone sees is just pictures. In fact, the clothes on Taobao that look like the same pictures, but there are actually many kinds of fabrics. Generally speaking, they can be completely different. The price of these two fabrics can differ by more than ten yuan per kilogram, which I won’t explain here. In small terms, it can be divided into:
1. Fabric composition is very important. Sometimes there are clothes with the same picture online, but because the fabric composition is different, the price is very different, so it is not clear what the fabric composition is. The quotation shown in the picture below is very unreliable. Fabrics are generally divided into 100% wool, 100% silk, 100% cotton, 100% cotton, CVC, 100% polyester. The quality decreases and the price decreases. In fact, the 100% cotton promoted by many merchants is actually not 100% cotton. Mainly cvc.
2. The weaving count of the fabric is also very important. Different fabrics have different classification methods. Generally speaking, the larger the count, the more refined the fabric and the better the feel. Of course, the price will increase accordingly; For example, 18 count, 21 count, 26 count, 32 count, etc.;
3. The weight of the fabric, usually 130g, 140g, 150g, 160g, 180, 200g, 220g, 240g, etc., the price Increasingly, the gram weight determines the thickness of the fabric to a certain extent, and also determines the weight. For example, knitted fabrics are weighed by kilograms, and the gram weight also plays a key role. The difference of 10g is not big, but the difference between 130g and 180g is definitely big. Generally, T-shirts are mainly 180~200.
4. The relationship between inventory cloth and regular-priced cloth; anyone who has been making clothing for a long time has heard of this. As the name suggests, inventory is leftover or defective by others and is recycled by inventory recyclers for resale. , the quality is not evaluated, but it is definitely unstable and unhygienic. Because it is in stock, it cannot be replenished. Regular-priced fabrics are purchased from regular fabric shops or factories. The quality is stable and can be replenished. Inventory cloth can be divided into cloth ends and tails and whole pieces. As the name suggests, cloth ends and tails are the unusable ones cut by others (small factories also consume a lot of cloth ends and tails every year, which is distressing). The price is relatively cheap, basically a few yuan per kilogram, and the whole piece is The quality of the pieces is better, and the price is not cheap either. The difference from regular cloth is about ten yuan per kilogram.
I believe friends all know why the prices can vary so much. Of course, the above is to exclude some businesses seeking huge profits, passing off inferior products as good ones, and selling low-grade fabrics at high-end prices. Therefore, it is generally recommended that when buying goods, it is best to compare them with samples to see whether they meet the positioning of your store. Of course, this depends on the positioning of the customer. Some customers specialize in mid- to high-end products, while others specialize in low-end products.
Then there are accessories. Accessories generally refer to the cost of hardware other than fabrics, such as buttons, zippers, accessories, etc. The price and quality of accessories also vary greatly. For example, I once bought a small accessory from an accessories store for 1.5 yuan. After making a few batches, customers reported that it was too expensive, so I went back to the accessory market to look for the same style and found that the lowest price was 0.6. Yuan, a direct drop of 0.9 Yuan, which is a very large amount for wholesale customers; so what is the question? Is there a difference between 1.5 Yuan and 0.6 Yuan? The answer is yes. Accessories priced at 1.5 yuan are far better in terms of gloss and composition than those priced at 0.6 yuan. The quality of accessories priced at 0.6 yuan is much worse. The color is dull, and some are even rusty and stained. Of course, this depends on the customer’s positioning. What’s the matter? Some customers specialize in mid- to high-end products, and some customers specialize in low-end products.
Then, the final step is workmanship. Workmanship refers to the lathe workmanship of clothes. There is a big difference between a high-quality clothes and low-grade clothes, which is something that no one can imagine. For example, for an ordinary round-neck T-shirt, the best workmanship (usually found in orders from foreign brands) can cost more than 20 yuan in processing fees alone, while the worst ones can cost up to 2 yuan. The factory takes orders and makes it, and it costs 5 to 6 yuan including the fabric to make an ordinary T-shirt. So they make money from the 9.9 yuan free shipping on Taobao. How bad is the workmanship? First, the lines are extremely sparse. The foreign standard is 13 needles per inch, and the domestic standard is 9 needles. The worse one is 4 or 5 needles per inch. What is the impact? Unsightly and prone to cracking! Second, when it comes to wiring, one refers to the color. The better the color matching, the higher the grade. Generally speaking, domestic standards should be in line. Poor black fabrics can be made with white threads, and the other is the thread used. As for the quality, the poor ones mainly use silk threads. Silk threads are cheap and the quality is relatively poor. In summary, it is obvious that the cost increases again and again.It’s very far away. Of course, we still have to go back to that sentence. This depends on the positioning of the customer. Some customers specialize in mid- to high-end products, and some customers specialize in low-end products.
Basically the above. Of course, the knowledge of clothing making is huge and cannot be analyzed in just a few hundred words. For many things, if everyone has been immersed in them for a long time, they will naturally understand the cost. I hope everyone can understand the following three points:
1. Nowadays, there are many products in the name of foreign trade. Everyone first asks where the foreign orders are from, because some foreign orders are not of high quality, and then the main reason for getting the goods is You can easily tell the difference by looking at the fabric and workmanship. In fact, many of the fabrics for foreign orders are imported fabrics. The price and quality are high-quality, and the workmanship is even more exquisite. If there is a slight difference, then be careful. (Of course, this depends on the positioning of the customer.)
2. Regarding factory direct sales, it is difficult to distinguish. Nowadays, many resale merchants go to some manufacturers to take pictures and pretend to be the manufacturers. The factory also allowed many wholesale customers to take a lot of photos. . . To put it simply, most of the resale merchants don’t know how to make clothes, and they don’t understand the most basic processes. Of course, I believe that most of my friends don’t understand either. Those who are capable can go to the factory for on-site inspection. The most important thing is to search on Baidu to see how the online publicity is. (Of course, this cannot be used as a standard, because many manufacturers do not have time to do it. Unlike a small factory, which is a family business, it is just right. We, the younger generation, understand this and publish a lot of information online in order to secure supply, haha). It is best to check the business license to see how long the factory has been open, etc. So the most reliable thing is to get a sample. Generally, they support getting samples. Take the samples back and compare them carefully to find one that suits your positioning.
3. If you want to customize clothes, if your positioning is not high, it is more cost-effective to sell them directly in stock. If the initial quantity of customization is not large, the cost will definitely exceed your budget. If what you are making is original or has high quality requirements, you must find a factory to customize it. You cannot use the market wholesale price to negotiate the cost with the factory. The smaller the quantity, the higher the cost will definitely be.
If you want to gain a firm foothold in the garment industry, you must always adhere to quality first, make clothes with conscience, and wear with confidence. Insert the concept of win-win cooperation with customers into the entire production and service process, so that we can continue to develop.